Tuesday, March 08, 2005

A breaking news that breaks: My friend is a .....

On February 24th, 2005, Guardian Unlimited put this breaking news: "Palestinian Cabinet Dominated by Academics". My eyes went through the lines and then the breaking news really broke me as I read this line:

Sabri Saidam, 41, communications and technology: holds doctorate in electric engineering, worked for U.N. aid agencies in the Gaza Strip, Welfare Association on Palestinian development issues, technology coordinator and chairman of the Internet Society-Palestine Chapter.

Why so? Because Sabri Saidam, a new Palestinian Minister of Communications and Technology, is a good friend of mine. Just a month ago, early February, I met Sabri in New York. I met him for the first time in Geneva about a year ago as we happened to be in the same research network "Information Technology and Civil Society" funded by SSRC. Sabri is such a nice sweet guy. I will never forget a thick mustache and a warm smile on his clean face. I actually spent much of my last day in New York with him. Me and him walked together after our last conference session and had coffee together before attending the dinner. After dinner, we got along together again, taking a short midnight tour around Manhattan. He gave me four big warm hugs as we said goodbye that night.

I am just so happy that at such a young age he has achieved an extraordinary thing and he really deserves that. I wish him the best. I believe Sabri will do his best for his country, Palestine. Best of luck, Sabri, my friend.

This is actually the second time that my friend became a Minister. The first was Silvia, Silvia Adriana Ticau, one of my colleagues who was appointed a Minister of Communication and Information Technology of Romania last year. Silvia is a young lady I met at the World Summit Award where we spent about a week together in Dubai in 2003. Then later that year in Geneva for about 3 days. However, I think I have more connections to Sabri. Despite our being together at the World Summit Award, I don't really know Silvia well. Still, I was a bit proud knowing that she became a minister, though.

Funny that while I know the Palestine Minister well enough, I don't actually know any Indonesian Minister. Let alone Minister, I don't know any 'pejabat' in Indonesia... and all Ministers and pejabats in Indonesia don't know me either... hehehe. Anyway... it's ok, I don't lose anything anyway by not knowing them...;)

11 comments:

mellyana said...

maybe someday, they will say...hey, my friend is a minister in Indonesia :) who knows?

merlyna lim said...

mimpi lu..hehehe. well, seriously, i never dream to be a minister and i don't want to be one....:D.

ana said...

Thanks, salam kenal juga dr Wageningen. Wow..your experiences and writings have amazed me as well. I won't be surprised if someday i will say exactly like your friend Mellyana said. You could change...put your Indonesia adventures on your web and you know that your country with its rural terrains need you and your cyberworld :-)

ANonymous said...

Gue dulu pernah meramal Mer bisa jadi menteri. Tapi skrg, gak pengin ngelihat Mer duduk di kabinet-RI. Gue pengin menteri-menteri itu nyembah-nyembah Mer. Biar tahu rasa!

(Sori agak bombastis, maklum lagi jengkel sama orang-orang pinter di negeri ini.)

merlyna lim said...

anna: aku ngga punya recent indo adventure... tapi jelas aku pingin berpetualang di indo juga, inspired by your suggestion I posted some ramblings here: http://merlynatravel.blogspot.com/

AN- : hehe, bagus juga ide-mu. tapi koq pait amat elu ye sama mentri..:P lagi kesel sama 'org2 pinter' yg mana?

ANonymous said...

Biasalah Mer, gara-gara bensin naik, suasana jadi seru..hehe (sampai hari ini jg masih rame)

Tapi ada pendapat yg menarik dari Sulfikar Amir sehubungan rame-rame ini. Katanya, kaum intelektual masa kini (atau calon menteri di masa datang - RED) sebenarnya jelmaan kaum priyayi masa lalu. Mungkin bener juga, ya!

Sulfikar Amir said...

masa sih gak punya kenalan menteri, mer. itu yg jadi menristek bukannya teman sejawat "constructivist" di ITB.

merlyna lim said...

itu kan kenalan-nya kamu, So. aku ngga kan pernah kenal sama beliau. nah kalo Sulfikar Amir nanti jadi menteri, baru aku punya teman yg menteri! seek aseeek!

Imazahra said...

Aku pingin Teteh jadi pejabat, apapun namanya, bisa presiden, menteri atau apalah, yang pasti jabatan yg sesuai dengan keahlian si Teteh selama ini.Pasalnya Indonesia sudah terlalu lama kehilangan pejabat yang bisa berbuat banyak dengan ilmu yang dimilikinya atau malah tidak punya ilmu sama sekali!

Sulfikar Amir said...

mer, posisi di birokrasi itu hanya efek doang. kalo dijadikan tujuan bisa jilat sana-sini. mending kalo dapat, kalo gak bisa kena stroke he he he...jauh lebih nikmat jadi pengamat dan pengkritik. bebas mau ngapain, asal gak ber"selingkuh" ha ha ha...

merlyna lim said...

ima: jangan ah, aku benar2 ngga minat jadi pejabat..

aso: bahkan u/ kena efek juga ngga mau aku..... mending kayak sekarang, bebas euy!